Reaching Out From FUNAAB to The World

Monday 8 August 2016

TEARS FOR A LIFETIME #1

I must’ve slept off. I felt someone tapping me
softly and calling my name. It was Jide. He
asked to lay with me so I made space for him.
After we had cuddled up nicely, I asked “Jide,
what happened with Aunty Toyosi?

Kemi said there was a fight at home on Friday night when you came back from the hospital”. “ She did, did she?” “Mmhmm. What happened?“ ” Riri, you
know I love you right?” “Mmhmm”

“ I’m going to tell you a story. See when I got
married to Toyosi, three years went by and there
were no children so we came here. At the time, the doctor-in-charge was a friend of Toyosi’s – Dr. Bimbo and she was the one that we came to see.

After running a series of tests, she confirmed that
I could never have children. She referred us to
other doctor so that we could get other opinions
but she was sure that we would get the same
result and so it was .”



“ Imagine how I felt knowing that my wife and I
could never have any heirs because of me. I was
so depressed for months. What was even more
hurtful was the fact that Toyosi told most close
friends what the doctor had said about my
situation despite the fact that I had begged her to
keep it between us. It caused a lot of problems in
our marriage and all the while I was made to look
like an incompetent man. The worst thing that she did was to call a family meeting with her family members and they discussed it in my presence. I was right there as they were discussing the solution(s) to ‘our problem’ and sympathizing with her.”
“Riri, I was so embarrassed and my own wife had
caused it. Whenever anyone mentioned our child
problems, she would look at me with so much
anger and pain. We were merely co-habiting; just
a marriage in name. That was part of the reasons
that I got contract jobs in other states. The farther I was from her, the better. I… ” “I’m so sorry for
what she did to you. How could she do that?
It’s not your fault that you can’t have…” “Riri.
You don’t understand. That’s why I fought with
her on Friday. Because it was her all along not
me! I can have children, Riri! I can” “Anh anh,
Unc … Jide I don’t understand. How can you …”




He turned me in his arms so I could face him
“ Because of you, Riri; because you’re pregnant
with my child .” I jerked up. “Ehn? Pregnant? Oh,
God. Oh, God. Pregnant? Jide? How can I be
pregnant? HOW CAN I BE PREGNANT AT THIS
AGE?” He was cleaning my tears. “ Riri, calm
down. Why’re you crying? I’m happy about this.
You saved me, Riri. I thought I was impotent.
Toyosi deceived me. Don’t you understand?”
… … … … … … …
(To be continued …)

What you think of this series?
Comment and share, graçias.
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive