Reaching Out From FUNAAB to The World

Saturday 5 November 2016

O'BELOVED


O beloved, was my fate sealed that day you whistled through the forest?                                           O beloved, was my fate sealed that day you lifted the dark cloth shielding my shy eyes?

                    O beloved, was my fate sealed that day you sung my praises?    Amadi                                             For the mountain and earth  betray you.                        
              I stand in the assembly of men called friends, where I strip for I'm cursed unto death.          
      No more tears to cry, No more strength to try, No voice to scream.                                                My once long hair now shaved.  My once fair skin now burned.
    I once wore rainbow, now dark.
 My body once for you now your brothers belonging.      
                 I will not become Adamus fourth, I tell them.  I belong to you                                                     I have stirred to assembly to stampede each lurking to tear me.                                                     I desecrate the laws, your mother shouts back.    
                I would not follow the hurricane but give into misery to take me.
  Akanbi, they blame me for no sweet palm wine.    
                                   I am assaulted by men I served wine at our banquet. Death took you from me and they blame me.  They said I crushed your body and sucked your blood as long as you stayed inside me.      I am what parents tale their children.                                              "Away from her sinful eyes".          "Away from her sinful voice".           For she is unto death.


-HILDA IGEREH
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.